[Openstack-sigs] [First Contact] New SIG: Let's get this party started!

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Dec 1 10:15:07 UTC 2017

Kendall Nelson wrote:
> In support of Zhipeng's first email[1] and a chat he and I had the other
> day[2]. I went ahead and started to formalize this SIG.
>
> I created an entry in the SIG table[3]. I also created a specific wiki
> page for the First Contact SIG[4].
> [...]

Thanks for taking the lead, I think regrouping all outreach and
mentoring activities under a single SIG will help coordinating efforts
and make better use of the resources we have there.

One question though: at this forum session we discussed calling this SIG
the "contributor experience" SIG. This was a way to include not only
on-boarding activities but also retainment and recognition activities
for existing contributors. This also matches the name used in the
Kubernetes community for similar activities.

I see "First contact" as one of the activities that a larger
"Contributor experience" SIG would tackle. Diversity support (outreachy,
woo), engaging with students and universities (GSoC), recognition
(contributor awards), better support for part-time contributors,
contributor happiness are others areas that I think would benefit from
being folded in the same SIG.

What do you think ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)