[Openstack-sigs] [meta] [ansible] Initial cut of Ansible SIG on SIGs wiki page; next steps

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Aug 2 11:56:49 UTC 2017

Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Robyn Bergeron's message of 2017-08-01 10:23:49 -0700:
>> Greetings:
>>
>> I've taken a first swag at what the Ansible SIG would look like on the SIG
>> wiki page, listed under Proposed SIGs:
>>
>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStack_SIGs#Ansible
>>
>> Feedback welcome on what I've listed; it may be a bit more context than
>> what is needed, but I suspect once I've moved on to making an actual wiki
>> page for the SIG itself and getting all the other infrastructure details in
>> place (rather than TBD), most of this can move into the wiki page -- and
>> the SIGs page can be updated to say that it's active, and just provide the
>> minimal description and pointers.
>>
>> Next steps as I see them:
>>
>> * Contact my short list of victims, err, highly likely collaborators who
>> have previously expressed interest to make sure this is in-line with what
>> they'd like to see, and get one of them to be a co-chair; have them sanity
>> check a draft announcement and the list of mailing lists / teams to tag in
>> sending an announcement
>> * Create a wiki page, populated at least with the information listed in the
>> Proposed SIG wiki space
>> * Get an irc channel
>
> We're bursting at the seams already with channels, and reaching the
> bounds of what can be logged. Does each SIG need its own channel? In
> this particular case, there are already a few related channels that
> could be reused, but in other cases do we want to use #openstack or
> #openstack-sig?

That's probably a question of activity. By default it can use
#openstack. However IRC discussions don't have [prefixes] letting you
quickly identify which topic is being discussed like in mailing-lists
threads: that means participants to a SIG wanting to catch up with
discussions, checking the logs for a single channel will have to sift
through various discussions to figure out which ones are relevant to
them. That's a lot of pain (and likely to kill the SIG before it can
reach its full potential). Therefore as soon as the SIG has "enough"
discussion volume I'd support creating a specific channel for it.

On the positive side, I expect SIGs to allow consolidation of various,
currently-separate channels, so it might not be a total loss :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)