[Openstack-security] The first version of the Logo for Openstack security project

Heidi Joy Tretheway heidijoy at openstack.org
Wed Oct 21 21:25:34 UTC 2015

Hi security team,

I wanted to follow up on the questions about whether the OpenStack logo can be used for the security team’s logo. The short answer is no - per my conversations with other foundation leaders and our policy, we can’t allow derivatives of the logo.

Distinctiveness is one of the requirements to have a trademark and one of the battles we've had to fight in certain jurisdictions, which is why we have to hold the line pretty tight on derivative logos. That means changing the logo or icon's color or its elements (removing the drop-shadow, making it chunkier, adapting it to look like a lock) are all no-gos.

We do grant exceptions for special-purpose one-time uses (such as a T-shirt design), but project logos don’t fit that category. You’ll see Keystone also has a lock-style logo, and Manila’s logo uses the OpenStack mark without modifying it.

I’d recommend creating something akin to Cinder’s logo, which uses the typical OpenStack font and color, but with a different icon.  I’m very happy to volunteer to help guide a designer on this to ensure your team gets what you’re happy with that also falls within the brand guidelines, and you’ve got some good ideas in the first design already.

How can I help? Looking forward to meeting many of you all in Tokyo.

Heidi Joy Tretheway
Senior Marketing Manager
OpenStack Foundation

503 816 9769