[Openstack-security] Host and Network Intrusion detection

Clark, Robert Graham robert.clark at hp.com
Mon Feb 16 15:35:19 UTC 2015

Unfortunately all the solutions available at the moment are deployment specific, there aren’t any nicely documented “standard” ways of managing multi-tenant aware, compute-level IDS with OpenStack today.

There are some options depending on technology choices. For example, in a deployment that uses Open vSwitch one could use an additional OVS instance on each compute host to act as a bump in the wire network tap between the hypervisor and the Neutron OVS instance – you can pretty much build any IPS infrastructure you like on top of that and with a little additional magic you can make your IDS  system understand the multi tenant nature of the traffic being collected.

-Rob