[Openstack-security] OS security guide lacking document version information

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Wed Nov 26 07:27:47 UTC 2014

On 11/26/2014 08:05 AM, CF wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm following the development of the OS security guide
> (http://docs.openstack.org/security-guide/security-guide.pdf) since a
> year and it has come a long way since then: content-wise and sheer size
> where it has grown from 70 to 200+ pages.
>
> However - IMHO - it has two major shortcomings for infrequent readers
> like me:
> 1) The document has no version nor version history where one could
> quickly identify major changes/additions compared to the last version.
> So one is forced to always skim the whole document while trying to spot
> changes.

It has one, see
http://docs.openstack.org/security-guide/content/ch_preface.html

I agree, it does not contain all the details.

Should we ask for significant changes to enhance the history?

> 2) When one downloads the document as PDF it always carries the download
> date as its date which doesn't help with version identification either.
>
> I see and appreciate that the document is maintained in a dynamic
> fashion but at the same time would love to have frozen major versions
> every now and then (maybe monthly?).

Freezing and branching off versions is quite some overhead,

Andreas
   GF:Jeff Hawn,Jennifer Guild,Felix Imendörffer,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)