[Openstack-security] OSSG Lead Candidacy

Clark, Robert Graham robert.clark at hp.com
Sun Mar 9 16:12:02 UTC 2014

Friends,

After speaking at length with Bryan and others (both in the OSSG and at my company, HP) I am delighted to join Malini and Sriram in announcing myself as a candidate for leading the OSSG. Of course this means I can no longer be an election official and as such I humbly request that Bryan validate me as 'active' and include me in the official list of candidates.

What an amazing journey we've been on over the last two years. We've got a lot done in this time, establishing the OSSN process and publishing over 20 pieces of guidance, working with the VMT to assess and triage vulnerabilities, producing the worlds first (and best!) book on OpenStack security and grown our membership numbers to over 100.

In the future I'd like to see us take on more ambitious projects, to further ramp up OSSN releases and continue to develop the security guide - but beyond our current functions I want us to embrace security reviews, to really engage with development teams on security and work together to find more security issues and improve the security architecture that underpins OpenStack. I believe that through conducting group reviews and defining good processes for doing so, we can raise the bar in OpenStack Security together, improving OpenStack as a whole.

I want to see the OSSG get involved in more projects, try new things and extend our capabilities, my role at HP has changed recently and I'm now 100% dedicated to OpenStack facing projects - this means more time from me, and more help from my security team in lifting some of the load. If elected I'll look to delegate responsibility wherever possible so that everyone can contribute as much as they want to and those who like me, have a specific mandate to improve OpenStack security are given the tools and support they need to make it happen.

Thanks,
-Rob