[Openstack-security] Secure Logging Recommendations

Kuvaja, Erno kuvaja at hp.com
Thu Jun 12 07:37:16 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I do agree with Bryan that it would be better not to log point 2 at all and I would suggest that if we provide this functionality to turn such on we should also make those logs at that point root/admin readable only.

I would also like to add an item to Sensitive/Confidential data list. One should never log any URI or full request object. These might contain user sensitive information like credentials, data locations etc.

Just a side note on the log levels. Lots of OPS are telling that currently getting anything valuable from the logs, they need to run the services on DEBUG log level. Based on this I really like the statement that DEBUG level should still never compromise the security of the information.

-          Erno (LP: jokke)