[Openstack-security] OpenStack Security Vulnerability Impact Metrics

Chivers, Douglas doug.chivers at hp.com
Tue Jun 10 11:54:37 UTC 2014

To kick off the discussion of vulnerability metrics for OpenStack, I have
taken a look at the two commonest vulnerability scoring frameworks, OWASP
and CVSSv2, and looked over the relevant chapter in the security guide
(http://docs.openstack.org/security-guide/content/ch012_configuration-manag
ement.html).

OWASP (https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Risk_Rating_Methodology) uses
a fairly simple set of characteristics to define the risk of
avulnerability. The Likelihood of the risk is calculated based on factors
such as the ease of discovery and exploitation of the vulnerability, and
the skill, motive and opportunity of the threat actor. The Technical
Impact of the risk is calculated separately from the Business Impact of
the risk, where the Technical Impact is based on loss of confidentiality,
availability, integrity and accountability(?!) and business impact is
based on financial and reputational damage and compliance violations.
OWASP gives impacts for each of these categories, with an associated
score. These are averaged to come up with likelihood, technical and
business risk - the relevance of the technical or business risk is decided
by the reviewer based on the scenario.

CVSS (http://www.first.org/cvss/cvss-guide#i1.1) calculates a metric based
on three sets of metrics: Base Metrics, which are the fundamental
characteristics of the vulnerability, Temporal Metrics, which are
characteristics that change over time, and Environmental Metrics, which
are dependant on a user¹s specific environment. The characteristics, such
as ŒAccess Complexity¹, ŒAuthentication Required¹, have sets of specific
answers, as for OWASP. Each answer has a specific score associated with
it, which are combined to calculate the CVSS score.

The Security Guide has a brief section under Triage, for vulnerability
assessment, which bases a Critical/High/Medium/Low score on a combination
of vulnerability type and attacker location. The metric uses a limited set
of vulnerabilities: Information Disclosure, Denial of Service and
Privilege Elevation.

Neither OWASP nor CVSS are cloud-aware, and the method described in the
security guide is very basic, so clearly none of the three is an off the
shelf solution. Due to the complexity of the maths involved in calculating
the CVSS score I would consider extending OWASP so it is applicable to
common cloud deployments.

Before we try and define a framework for vulnerability assessment, I
suggest we make sure the requirements are clearly defined, here are a few:

- Define ŒThreat¹, ŒRisk¹, ŒVulnerability, etc - threat and risk are often
used interchangeably, and do not appear to be defined in the security
guide.

- The Vulnerability framework should include position in cloud in the
calculation, e.g. Œunder cloud infrastructure¹, Œon cloud infrastructure¹,
Œpublic instance¹

- The Vulnerability framework should include factor for type of
deployment, e.g. Œprivate¹, Œpublic¹, Œtrusted¹, Œuntrusted¹, or maybe
Œpaas¹ Œiaas¹.

Any thoughts? I suggest we flesh out the requirements before diving into
designing a methodology, but I¹m open to suggestions.

Doug

Doug Chivers
HP Security Architect
doug.chivers at hp.com