[Openstack-security] Preferred os for rapid security patches of openstack

Kurt Seifried kseifried at redhat.com
Mon Jun 2 01:17:36 UTC 2014

On 06/01/2014 03:45 PM, kesten broughton wrote:
> Yes, my interest is in patches for openstack modules. We use the
> EPEL repos.
>
> "pick say the last two dozen CVEs and then research when they were
> fixed in each distribution and compare and you'll have your
> answer."
>
> Was that advice tounge-in-cheek? ;)
>
> I picked one, and spent an hour looking for decent sources. I'm
> looking for either archive or CSV format that includes both the
> patch release date and the CVE.
>
> I picked CVE-2014-0162
>
> I was hoping someone had already done the work for me like this
> analysis of rhel variants: Lag for centos behind rhel patch
> releases
> http://bitrate.epipe.com/rhel-vs-centos-scientific-oracle-linux-6_187
>
>  Comparing centos to ubuntu is problematic since the centos
> announce list does not include the CVE or bug description.
>
> Ubuntu has archives here
> http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-security/cve/ But the bug i
> picked wasn't there.
>
> I had to google around to find it here.
> http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/saucy/main/updates/glance
>

> debian has bundled files, with CVE's but no dates, only release
> numbers https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/
>
> I was only able to find nice stats with everything i needed for
> Redhat. http://www.redhat.com/security/data/metrics/

Heh, yup!

> If i'm missing any links to make this info more accessible please
> let me know. Otherwise, 2 dozen comparisons might take a day or
> two.
>
> kesten

So in a previous life when I contracted for iSIGHT/iDefense I know
firms like that can produce this data, but they charge quite a bit,
the reason being that as you discovered most sources are very
messy/hard to parse.

Another way to approach it might be to pick a few packages that get
updates regularly (e.g. keystone) and go through the package histories
noting when the solve various CVEs, that way you only have to look at
a handful of files.

- --
Kurt Seifried - Red Hat - Product Security - Cloud stuff and such
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993