[Openstack-security] [openstack/oslo-incubator] SecurityImpact review request change I2912ad7efc10b065c954fd198325305f81a8c6ec

gerrit2 at review.openstack.org gerrit2 at review.openstack.org
Tue Jul 22 02:58:20 UTC 2014

Hi, I'd like you to take a look at this patch for potential
SecurityImpact.
https://review.openstack.org/108215

Log:
commit 25a29c2a6c74b9819fe37e14ac2dfc308e93d6d3
Author: Amrith Kumar <amrith at tesora.com>
Date:   Sat Jul 19 19:15:48 2014 -0400

    Mask any password in exception command string

    Currently the command executed by processutils.execute
    is included in the exception (if one is generated). This
    could contain passwords and other information that could
    represent a security vulnerability.

    Also added a test for this, ensuring that stdout and
    stderr contain the expected text, and that the password
    is obscured from the command that is part of the exception.

    Before merging this change into other projects, it is
    important to understand that the command being returned
    in a ProcessExecutionError exception (should one be
    thrown) is one where passwords will have been masked
    using strutils.mask_password(). Therefore the command
    may no longer be executable. This may break some existing
    code that may have a construct such as:

         except ProcessExecutionError as err:
         	    # retry the command
         	    processutils.execute(err.cmd)

    OSSO is aware of this change.

    DocImpact:
    The documentation for the execute command should include
    a note about the change in behavior described in the message
    as above.

    SecurityImpact:

    Change-Id: I2912ad7efc10b065c954fd198325305f81a8c6ec
    Closes-Bug: #1343604