[Openstack-security] [openstack/django_openstack_auth] SecurityImpact review request change I9e3eba7e0a12ae40a08d0ed851ea916ec6591bcc

gerrit2 at review.openstack.org gerrit2 at review.openstack.org
Sun Aug 24 15:01:44 UTC 2014

Hi, I'd like you to take a look at this patch for potential
SecurityImpact.
https://review.openstack.org/116509

Log:
commit 632ef6fcb105e5db45bee088389e3f7b4ea375eb
Author: Brant Knudson <bknudson at us.ibm.com>
Date:   Sat Aug 23 11:35:25 2014 -0500

    Configuration token hashing algorithm

    The user's authentication token was hashed using the MD5 algorithm.
    The MD5 algorithm shouldn't be used because of the potential for
    hash collisions. Some security standards mandate a SHA2 algorithm
    or better must be used.

    With this change the algorithm to use for hashing tokens can be
    configured by setting the OPENSTACK_TOKEN_HASH_ALGORITHM
    configuration option to a hash algorithm supported by Python's
    hashlib library[1]. For example, a deployer could set the option to
    'sha256' to meet a SHA2 security standard.

    The algorithm chosen must match the hash algorithm that the
    identity server is configured to use (Keystone and the auth_token
    middleware can be configured to use any hash algorithm supported by
    hashlib).

    This is for security hardening.

    [1] https://docs.python.org/2/library/hashlib.html

    DocImpact
    SecurityImpact

    Change-Id: I9e3eba7e0a12ae40a08d0ed851ea916ec6591bcc
    Closes-Bug: #1174499