[Openstack-security] [openstack/cinder] SecurityImpact review request change I5cb06386410f46cabc490fa6af23272d1d2cb979

gerrit2 at review.openstack.org gerrit2 at review.openstack.org
Thu Oct 3 03:48:47 UTC 2013

Hi, I'd like you to take a look at this patch for potential
SecurityImpact.
https://review.openstack.org/46091

Log:
commit ae6b7642e8d32ef5fa75cdcfe55be23c052fd547
Author: Joel Coffman <joel.coffman at jhuapl.edu>
Date:   Tue Sep 24 19:10:09 2013 -0400

    Add key manager implementation with static key

    Per feedback received on other patch sets, an example key manager
    driver is required to support ephemeral storage encryption and
    Cinder volume encryption -- see
    * https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/encrypt-cinder-volumes
    * https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/encrypt-ephemeral-storage
    The ConfKeyManager class reads its key from the project's
    configuration file and provides this key for *all* requests. As
    such, this key manager is insecure but allows the aforementioned
    encryption features to be used without further integration effort.

    To clarify the above statements, the configuration-based key
    manager uses a single, fixed key. When used to encrypt data (e.g.,
    by the Cinder volume encryption feature), the encryption provides
    limited protection for the confidentiality of data. For example,
    data cannot be read from a lost or stolen disk, and a volume's
    contents cannot be reconstructed if an attacker intercepts the iSCSI
    traffic between the compute and storage host. If the key is ever
    compromised, then any data encrypted with the key can be decrypted.

    This commit copies the ConfKeyManager class from Nova as well as
    synchronizing changes with the key manager interface in Nova.

    Implements blueprint encrypt-cinder-volumes
    DocImpact
    SecurityImpact

    Change-Id: I5cb06386410f46cabc490fa6af23272d1d2cb979