[Openstack-security] Certmonger

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Sat Nov 2 15:55:52 UTC 2013

On 11/01/2013 03:10 PM, Clark, Robert Graham wrote:
> Support for ADCS and EJBCA would make sense.
Good to hear it.  I'd come across them, but didn't know how well
supported they were.

> I wasn’t aware of the Chef-SSL project, quite interesting. In my experience the hard part with CA operations is actually the Registration Authority, ensuring that the requesting party has a right to the certificate is one of the main roles of the RA and with client-side generation (without out-of-band attestation) you quickly run into a chicken and egg type problem.
Dogtag, EJBCA and ADCS I think all have solutions to this, which are
somewhat different.  I suspect that could be abstracted away from the
Certmonger piece.

> A long time ago I wrote half of a very light weight restful CA with a very simple API and delegated certificate issuing (So you could grant permissions to create certificates on certain sub domains) - I keep threatening to turn it into something real. I’m not convinced that any of the platforms out there meet the needs we have very well. I should look more closely at Certmonger, maybe this will fit the bill!
Certmaster is the equivalent:

https://fedorahosted.org/certmaster/

XML-RPC based, so a RESTful augmentation would be very nice.

THen again, we also have Barbican.  Lets make sure we are not
duplicating effort.