[Openstack-security] Deriving Instance UUID

Brian Schott brian.schott at nimbisservices.com
Mon Dec 9 21:16:11 UTC 2013

Rob,

That is a hard question.  The short answer is that it depends on the type of UUID.  Type 1 () is mac address of the server + timestamp, so probability of guessing another UUID in the system is very high.  Type 4 (random) has 122 bits, so probability of collision is extremely small and is also dependent on having a good random number generator.  A poor implementation might be predictable.  Type 5 (namespace) has fewer bits depending on the size of the namespace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem#Probability_table

I think in general web url usage, a bare UUID as authentication mechanism isn't considered good practice, but it really depends on how many elements you have in the system, how it is protected from brute-force attacks, etc.

Brian

Brian Schott, CTO
Nimbis Services, Inc.
brian.schott at nimbisservices.com