[Openstack-security] Authenticating User and Workstation/Device

Clark, Robert Graham robert.clark at hp.com
Wed Aug 28 16:56:01 UTC 2013

Agree that a TPM seems like the obvious way forward in terms of system
attestation, it doesn't make many guarantees about the systems fitness
for purpose though.

There are host-based endpoint-security products out there that aim to
make certain guarentees about the state of a client device before it's
allowed to join say, a VPN - it's not hard to see a Segway into doing
something similar with these vendors but for accessing cloud resources.
That said, they're all easily defeated by common malware techniques and
in my opinion, not to be trusted anyway...

Regards
-Rob

Trusted-Platform-Module
> (TPM) would enable identifying the device without disclosing the
actual
> device id .
> TPM is found on servers on client devices these days and inexpensive.
> http://opensecuritytraining.info/IntroToTrustedComputing_files/Day2-1-
> auth-and-att.pdf
>
> Regards
> Malini

The
> same cannot be said about an iPad, where powering it on serves up all
keys
> with NSFileProtectionNone (Wifi passwords, LDAP passwords, Exchange
> passwords, VPN passwords, etc).
>
> > What type of device level authentication did you have in mind?
> Either preshared secret or public/private key pairs. The preshared
secret or
> private key would be loaded upon provisioning the device (and the
public
> key would be circulated as expected). If the data sensitivity
warrants, we
> also want an OTP.
>
> Perosnally, I'm a big fan of preshared secrets and passwords because
they
> are easy to work with and do not suffer all the systemic problems of
PKI and
> client certificates. Preshared secrets and passwords get a black eye
because
> our handling and management has been so poor (in general).
>
> You can't use GetDeviceId-like APIs for provisioning because built-in
UUIDs
> are not available due to advertisers tracking abuse. In addition, some
of the
> newer GetDeviceId APIs allow the user to reset the UUID served up to
an
> application to thwart tracking. Also, the built-in UUIDs, MAC
Addresses, etc
> could be aprtial or completely guessable or leak information. So you
have to
> use a preshared secret.
>
> Unattended key storage is a problem without a solution, so the secret
or
> private key would simply have to go in a Keystore, Keychain, etc. I
believe
> the folks on the WebCrypto Working Group are trying to answer some of
> the questions related to: how are secrets created, how are they put in
the
> store, how are they accessed once in the store, and how are they used
once
> in the store, etc (among others).
> http://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto/.
>
> > For example, how would you expect a device to prove it's identity to
the
> cloud?
> Well, that's a problem at the moment, since I'm not aware of the
protocols
> :) I have not been able to locate them in the literature using Google
Scholar.
> I recently asked on sci.crypt
> (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.crypt/Y1aAJAnXia4/srwCu5SsctEJ).
> My failures don't mean they don't exists - just that I have not been
able to
> locate the formal treatment.
>
> Naively, the device name and device secret could be sent similar to
> basic_auth. However, we know basic_auth has some problems in practice:
> the scheme serves up all the information to any server that provides a
> certificate. The real problem is the outer encryption tunnel is not
properly
> bound to the inner authentication mechanism. So sending twice the
> sensitive information (user and device secrets) is probably a bad
idea.

> When using protocls that properly bind channels, such as TLS-SRP and
> TLS_PSK, I'm not sure the additional device information can be
pigeon-holed
> into the existing protocols.
>
> I'm beginning to think the solution - for now - is to use well
> known/understood primitives twice. But I'm not sure its the best
solution.
> For example, use TLS-SRP and TLS_PSK to authenticate the user. At this
> point, the user is authenticated but has no entitlements. Then, use
device
> authentication to add entitlements or received during user
authentication.
> After user and device authentication, the user will be able to access
> resources (i.e., authorizations).
>
> When using the device to fine-tune entitlements or authorizations, I
don't
> believe we can serialize the authentication (like a SecurID or OTP). A
device
> secret is private, and it should not be put on the wire like a
password in
> basic_auth since it never changes (unlike a SecurID or OTP). So should
the
> protocol include a second CHAP step, or should it run a second
instance of
> TLS-SRP and TLS_PSK in the first instance's tunnel?
>
> > Understanding this will guide the discussion and make it easier for
others
> to chime in.
> To revisit and summarize:
>
>   * classify data on the server (i.e., in swift) via the metadata
>   * authentication system needs to authenticate the device for medium
> value data
>   * authentication system needs to accept a second factor (i.e., OTP)
for