[openstack-qa] on copyright notices

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Thu May 16 10:32:25 UTC 2013

On 05/16/2013 12:26 PM, Giulio Fidente wrote:
> On 05/16/2013 12:04 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
>> On 05/16/2013 05:25 AM, Giulio Fidente wrote:
>>> I'd say we continue to put the "Copyright $YEAR OpenStack Foundation"
>>> string on top of the source files, rather than stripping out the notice.
>>>
>>> Is there anything wrong in doing that?
>>
>> Actually, there has been an active discussion on legal-discuss on this -
>> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/legal-discuss/2013-May/000022.html
>>
>> I think the community is currently leaning towards removing the
>> copyright statements completely, because they aren't really needed
>> (given git history), and they are wildly inaccurate (given that the
>> major of folks aren't updating them correctly).
>
> thanks for pointing me to the proper list :)
>
> the discussion also seems to be very recent; apparently there isn't such
> an issue with non copyrighted software, will ask on legal-discuss
>
> for people interested, also see this:
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/legal-discuss/2013-April/000000.html

even more interesting:
http://softwarefreedom.org/resources/2012/ManagingCopyrightInformation.html

"""
Contrary to popular belief, copyright notices aren’t required to secure
copyright. Each developer holds copyright in his or her code the moment
it is written,

[...]

Since copyright notices are not mandatory, there is generally no harm in
under-using them, particularly if authorship is recorded in VCS logs.
"""
--
Giulio Fidente
GPG KEY: 08D733BA | IRC: giulivo