[openstack-qa] tempest run length - need a gate tag - call for help

David Kranz david.kranz at qrclab.com
Wed May 15 15:12:40 UTC 2013

On 5/11/2013 10:57 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> Any assistance would be good.
>
> Right now we really just need 'gate' attr added to basically all the
> non skipped methods, we can prune later. Once 'gate' looks to be ~
> full, we can flip over check and gate to use that.
>
> I think long term the approach we're going to need to go with is 3
> sets of tests:
>
> smoke (< 10 mins)
> gate (< 45 mins)
> full (everything)
>
> All projects gate on gate
>
> Periodic runs of full - daily, more often?
>
> Tempest check runs full (but not gate), it's advisory.
>
> Some on demand facility for people to run full.
>
> At this point I'm not adding my +2 to any more tests (only approving
> fixes to existing tests) until we get gate tag in, as I don't think we
> should be running any longer than we currently are.
>
>     -Sean

This message talks about "smoke" but I am not clear what it is actually
used for. I don't see a reason to run just smoke tests as part of some
automated process.
So, who will run just smoke tests and why will they be run? I usually
think of a smoke test as something I can run before committing or
checkpointing my work as a sanity check
but to be useful for that it would want to be shorter than 10 min I
think. I wonder if we really need a tempest smoke tag at this point.

  -David