[openstack-qa] tempest run length - need a gate tag - call for help

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Sat May 11 14:01:03 UTC 2013

On 05/10/2013 12:37 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> In the past month we've added 5 - 7 minutes to the tempest run length.

I feel partly involved into the slowdown so I'd like to get some
guidance over the issue.

Take as an example the following, it is going to create two volume
snapshots (one per test):

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/28176/

The tests share an origin volume created by setUpClass but repeat the
snap creation step.

Creating the snap is the purpose of one of the tests indeed, while the
second is attempting to create a snap-based volume, essentially
repeating the initial snapshot creation as one of the steps.

One could speed up things by moving also the snapshot creation in the
setUpClass but, from my pov, creating a snapshot successfully is what we
want to test, not just a setup step.

So, what shoul be the right approach in such a situation?

Also, in relation to the gating issue, should a _slow_ test like this be
part of the gating or shouldn't it? It's slow but can we run the gating
without checking if one is still able to create a volume snapshot?

> Any volunteers for this? The patches are straight forward, but they will
> take a little time.

How about splitting this per component? I'd volunteer for the volume
tests. Adding the import should be an easy task, picking up the right
tests for taking would be a separate commit as I expect a number of new
suggestions in the review comments. Makes sense?
--
Giulio Fidente
GPG KEY: 08D733BA | IRC: giulivo