[openstack-qa] A tempest test cann't pass gate-grenade-devstack-vm

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Wed Jul 24 14:22:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:48:19PM +0930, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 21:08:03 +0800
> Zhu Bo <bozhu at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >     When we port nova v2 test into v3,  the test: create_server
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/37671/ cann't pass gate-grenade.
> >     Who can help to figure out what's the problem? I'd appreciate it.
>
> Just to expand on this a bit, from the logs it appears that within the
> grenade environment the compute_v3 endpoint can't be found. However the
> same test does pass within the normal tempest/devstack gate
> environment. We were wondering if there is perhaps some change that is
> required to add the compute_v3 endpoint into the grenade environment
> (more than the devstack changeset which has already been merged).

So if I remember correctly grenade uses devstack but has to use a separate
configuration because the defaults in devstack-gate are not going to be the
same from grizzly to master. (a good example is heat) So you probably will
have to make changes to ensure that it's getting enabled when grenade is
enabled. You can look at:
https://github.com/openstack-infra/devstack-gate/blob/master/devstack-vm-gate.sh
to see if there is anything that needs to be added for grenade (I didn't
see anything that would break v3 at first glance)

But, I'm curious is there a reason that the v3 tests in tempest don't api
version endpoint discovery? I did this for the glance tests so that if there
isn't a v2 endpoint (or a v1 endpoint) then those tests are just skipped.
Something similar should easily be implementable for nova's apis. This way nova
v3 api isn't are hard requirement for running tempest. (Which I don't think it
should be)

I'm also not sure testing the v3 api in grenade is needed at this point since it
wasn't in grizzly there really isn't an upgrade path so I don't think that there
is any extra value in testing it in grenade too. (I might be wrong about this
though)

-Matt Treinish