[openstack-qa] Blueprint: Simplify stress tests and make them run

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Tue Jul 16 14:17:00 UTC 2013

On 07/16/2013 10:06 AM, Matthew Treinish wrote:
> Snip...
> Let's enhance the stress tests with a new actions and we could define a
> good mixture of them for automatic testing.
>
> What do you mean with "more sane"? Could you propose a better interface?
> I just think the whole definition with a JSON file is a little strange. I
> would also like to see an easier way to run the different actions easily
> serially or in parallel (if it makes sense). If you look at the stress tox job
> I had to call run_stress multiple times, once for each JSON action that existed.
> I think it would be better if you could pass a list of actions you want to run
> and have run_stress handle run them serially. (or something like that).
>
> It also might make sense to add an optional flag to run_tests.sh so the stress
> suite is runnable from both tox and run_tests.

The point of the json file was that the main driver needs to accept a
list of tests to fire off. Each test may itself accept arguments
specific to that test and these arguments also need to be provided. You
could use something other than json but I think you need some kind of
hierarchical structure other than straight command line arguments.
Maybe it was not clear that the json file can be a list of tests, even
though the original example just had one. If you give a list of tests
now they will run in parallel, a desired use case, but we could easily
add another top-level flag that says whether to run in parallel or
sequentially.

  -David