[openstack-qa] RFC: moving discussions to -dev channels?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jul 15 15:17:43 UTC 2013

On 07/15/2013 10:58 AM, David Kranz wrote:
> On 07/15/2013 08:15 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
>> So one of the things that I've been thinking about recently is the
>> fact that we've separated ourselves out a bit by having our own IRC
>> channel and mailing list. In some ways that's useful, as the content
>> on both of those channels is very focused.
>>
>> However in other ways that's less useful, because we don't have the
>> engagement of the core devs on other projects unless we go and fish
>> for it explicitly. A lot of tempest / grenade changes at this point
>> need coordination with projects because we are tracking behavior
>> changes upstream, or getting into more niggly versions of the
>> interpretation of the API.
>>
>> My current thinking is maybe it's time to deprecate the mailing list
>> and drive our conversations back on the openstack-dev list instead. My
>> hope is that it would also make us more discoverable as a group, and
>> get more folks involved with the overall QA Program.
>>
>> I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this. I realize -dev is a
>> lot of email, so it's something I'd like folks views on.
>>
>>     -Sean
>>
> To me, the mailing list and irc channel are different in nature. For the
> mailing list, the dev list gets so much traffic that people have to
> filter it anyway. Adding our traffic would be a net plus IMO, though
> perhaps not much of one. For irc, I like having the separate channel
> because my attention can be caught when there is actually some
> discussion happening. The reverse is true too. A lot of times you have a
> question or issue but don't want to have to pick some person (who?) and
> ping them. You just need some one, like for a review perhaps. The infra
> irc channel is nice like that.

I'm actually totally cool with leaving the IRC channel for now. I think
a lot of teams have their own channels, and that's good.

The mailing list proposal came from a few interactions over the last
couple of months with folks where I realized that someone I wanted to
comment on things wasn't on our list. As we are actively trying to
discourage cross posting, it just seems like being in dev, and having
our discussions there makes more sense.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague