[openstack-qa] Splitting Up JSON and XML Tests

Daryl Walleck daryl.walleck at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Jan 22 06:20:20 UTC 2013

Sorry, necro-reply, been swamped since I came back from vacation. What you're describing is the way we run our tests internally. JSON is the default configuration for most of our testing Jenkins jobs, which our XML tests being run additionally on a separate schedule. I think splitting up the jobs would make the most sense and be much more time efficient.

Daryl
From: Matthew Treinish [treinish at linux.vnet.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 12:04 PM
To: openstack-qa at lists.openstack.org
Subject: [openstack-qa] Splitting Up JSON and XML Tests

Hi Everyone,

So to try and combat tempest runtime I think that it would be a good idea to
split up the XML and JSON tests so that each tempest run will only use either
XML or JSON but not both. Instead of duplicating the tests serially like we do
now we can run the 2 container formats in parallel. So we would setup jenkins
to have 2 gating jobs one with JSON the other XML. The advantage here is that
we will split up gate onto 2 servers and it should decrease runtime for
tempest.

I'm thinking that using a boolean config option would be the easiest way to
switch between XML and JSON.

I do remember when we did the initial XML push into tempest there was
opposition to this approach but I don't remember why. So there is probably
something that I am overlooking, but I still think it worth having the
discussion again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt Treinish