[openstack-qa] On refactoring of base classes/infrastructure

Daryl Walleck daryl.walleck at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Feb 21 04:03:21 UTC 2013

There's been a lot of interest around modifying the base test classes in Tempest, which is something that without a doubt needs to be explored. Before doing that, I'd like to make sure we're thinking of what the problem we're trying to solve is by doing this and what the final solution should look like. I think we can all agree on these things:

  *   We need something to prepare test configuration
  *   Something to manage resources generated from tests
  *   A means to load all necessary clients for testing

Where I started to get concerned was when I noticed the number of classes we needed to inherit from just to enable basic functionality. Going through the class model again brought up some other difficulties:

  *   The openstack module has grown to the point of being unwieldy
  *   We load every client for every test regardless of the product
  *   It's not necessarily clear what belongs in each level of base test class

It seems like we could handle some of our complexity through aggregates and breaking things down into smaller pieces. I also think base test classes might not be the right term in some cases, as they're really more of high level fixtures. Just my thoughts, but here's what I sketched out.

http://imgur.com/fqD01OT

Any thoughts would be appreciated as always.

Daryl