[openstack-qa] scenario vs api overlap

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Mon Aug 19 14:31:02 UTC 2013

On 08/19/2013 09:49 AM, Tal Kammer wrote:
> Thanks giulio, though I'm not sure the scenarios are the right place to check the python clients as it acts more as a mean to an end rather than the subject of testing, so it might not get the necessary coverage.
>
> I appreciate the input,
> Tal
Tal, you are correct in theory. Right now there are no comprehensive
tests of the python clients that prove they work, or that they remain
compatible with older OpenStack versions. Providing such tests would be
a huge amount of work that no one has signed on for. The scenario tests
are using the python client APIs because it is easier for python code to
do that than use the REST api. That does also provide a kind of smoke
test for the client libraries. There is a blueprint to run these tests
against
older versions
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tempest/+spec/client-lib-stability.

  -David