[Openstack-personas] Goals for Personas

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Sun Jan 12 18:23:46 UTC 2014

On 01/11/2014 12:38 AM, Nicholas Chase wrote:
> On 1/10/2014 6:07 PM, Jenny Mahmoudi wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Dave Neary <dneary at redhat.com
>> <mailto:dneary at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I think it's worth separating out buyer personas (for marketing & biz
>> dev) from user personas (arguably for UX, PTLs and docs). Buyers *might*
>> be the same people as the users, but typically in enterprise they're
>> separate.
>>
>> I think for the first iteration we should focus on either user personas
>> or buyer personas. Where is the greater need? Are there people from
>> those groups who we can engage in the process?
>
> I think if we're going to going to focus on one or the other, we should
> focus on user personas, because the community definitely needs them for
> the UX effort, as well as for docs.  I'm not saying that marketing and
> biz dev aren't important -- frankly, those are the ones that will be
> most useful to me in my day job :) -- but I think we need community
> buy-in for the overall effort, and for that we need to show that the
> personas themselves are directly useful.

I agree somehow with your sentiment. For the OpenStack community -
developers, documentation team, UX team), I consider user personas the
most important.

And while like you, Nick, I engage with buyers, you really need to
convince often first the users (sysadmins) and then it's convincing
together the buyers.

Andreas