[Openstack-personas] Goals for Personas

Jacki Bauer jacki.bauer at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Jan 8 23:24:22 UTC 2014

Hey everyone,
Part of creating effective personas is interviewing the right people, and in order to interview the right people, we need to know what we want to accomplish.

So, some questions/thoughts -

Should we aim to cover a little of everything with the first pass of interviews? Do we want to take our time and end up with a broad set of personas that can be used by everyone? Or should we do a first iteration where we focus on one topic and do some interviews, document results in a couple personas, see how people respond to them, and then go and do some more?

As for deciding who to interview - I'm hung up on the question of what we want to accomplish with personas. What is the overarching problem/s that the OpenStack community has that we want to solve? Once we have a problem identified, it should be easier to decide who to interview. As an example - my understanding is that OpenStack really wants to appeal to enterprise, but there are some big gaps that are preventing enterprise adoption. That seems like a worthwhile but very high level problem to tackle and there are obviously a ton of others at various levels of granularity. You could have personas just for storage, compute, heat/deployments, monitoring, etc etc. I think that if we focus our work we have a better chance at a quick win, and that could help to establish the group as a valued resource.

Some other problems worth addressing -
OpenStack marketing:
what's my target audience, and how do Ireach them?
docs: who are we writing docs for, and what do they need to get done with IaaS? What
problems are they considering fixing with OpenStack?
developers:
which features are high priority for the target audience, and why? And
shouldn't we make those a high priority for the project too?

So, who needs our help the most?

Cheers,
Jacki

Jacki Bauer