[Openstack-personas] Personas project in Launchpad?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Feb 14 10:14:18 UTC 2014

Liz Blanchard wrote:
> Jarda went through the process of proposing that a few months back. Here is the program proposal[1] It was discussed during one of the technical committee meetings.[2] And then there was a follow up discussion via e-mail based on the discussion in that meeting.[3] Ultimately, we would need to think through all of the benefits it would give the community for UX to be an official program for it to be accepted. What does it really mean for UX to be a program? Are there things that we can’t do by not being a program?

A few remarks:

Having a Launchpad project and a repository is not what makes you
"official" and granted ATC status. A number of teams work on OpenStack,
and as their work mature and their deliverables prove themselves
necessary to the production of "OpenStack", they can apply to the
Technical Committee to place themselves under the TC authority and
become an official program. The TC then gains oversight on that program
activities, and in return the program contributors get ATC status (i.e.
a vote in the TC elections).

A UX program was proposed in the past. It was delayed / rejected because
it was new, had unclear results and unclear ways to measure
"contribution". It basically not proved that it works better as a
separate team, rather than as UX-minded contributors in each of the
existing programs. But the other issue was that the UX efforts were
still fragmented and not operating as a single team. For example, the
Personas team is a sufficiently disjoint effort from the other proposed
UX team that most of its members obviously ignored Jarda's past efforts
at becoming a program.

We would really like to have a UX program, but first all the disjoint
efforts around UX need to federate and work as a team, with regular
meetings and results. Once that has worked from some time and their
outputs are deemed essential to our production of OpenStack, then will
be the time to seek official recognition.

Setting up a persona repo to facilitate collaboration is a good first
step. You can certainly set up a persona repo under stackforge and a
project in Launchpad to track corresponding bugs.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)