[Openstack-operators] [Openstack-sigs] [tc]Global Reachout Proposal

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Sep 18 12:40:50 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-18 11:26:57 +0900 (+0900), Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
[...]
> I can understand that IRC cannot be used in China which is very
> painful and mostly it is used weChat.
[...]

I have yet to hear anyone provide first-hand confirmation that
access to Freenode's IRC servers is explicitly blocked by the
mainland Chinese government. There has been a lot of speculation
that the usual draconian corporate firewall policies (surprise, the
rest of the World gets to struggle with those too, it's not just a
problem in China) are blocking a variety of messaging protocols from
workplace networks and the people who encounter this can't tell the
difference because they're already accustomed to much of their other
communications being blocked at the border. I too have heard from
someone who's heard from someone that "IRC can't be used in China"
but the concrete reasons why continue to be missing from these
discussions.
--
Jeremy Stanley