[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] Open letter/request to TC candidates (and existing elected officials)

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 23:00:04 UTC 2018

On 9/12/2018 3:30 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
>> I'm just a bit worried to limit that role to the elected TC members. If
>> we say "it's the role of the TC to do cross-project PM in OpenStack"
>> then we artificially limit the number of people who would sign up to do
>> that kind of work. You mention Ildiko and Lance: they did that line of
>> work without being elected.
> Why would saying that we_expect_  the TC members to do that work limit
> such activities only to those that are on the TC? I would expect the TC
> to take on the less-fun or often-neglected efforts that we all know are
> needed but don't have an obvious champion or sponsor.
>
> I think we expect some amount of widely-focused technical or project
> leadership from TC members, and certainly that expectation doesn't
> prevent others from leading efforts (even in the areas of proposing TC
> resolutions, etc) right?

Absolutely. I'm not saying the cross-project project management should
be restricted to or solely the responsibility of the TC. It's obvious
there are people outside of the TC that have already been doing this -
and no it's not always elected PTLs either. What I want is elected TC
members to prioritize driving technical deliverables to completion based
on ranked input from operators/users/SIGs over philosophical debates and
politics/bureaucracy and help to complete the technical tasks if possible.

Matt