[Openstack-operators] Cinder HA with zookeeper or redis?

Jay S Bryant jungleboyj at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 20:18:37 UTC 2018

On 9/9/2018 10:58 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> James Penick <jpenick at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>> Does anyone have experience using zookeeper or redis to handle HA
>> failover
>> in cinder clusters?
>
> I'm guessing you mean failover of an active/passive cinder-volume
> service?
>
>> I know there's docs on pacemaker, however we already
>> have the other two installed and don't want to add yet another
>> component to
>> package and maintain in our clusters.
>
> I'm afraid I don't, but if you make any progress on this, please let
> me know as it would be great to document:
>
>  - how this would work
>  - any pros and cons vs. Pacemaker
>
> and maybe I can help with that.
>
> One particular question: if the node running the service becomes
> unreachable, is it safe to fail it over straight away, or is fencing
> required first?  (I'm pretty sure I've asked this same question
> before, but I can't remember the answer - sorry!)
James,

I echo Adam's input.  I have only heard of people implementing with
pacemaker but there is no reason that this couldn't be tried with other
HA solutions.

If you are able to try it and document it would be great to add
documentation here:  [1]

Also, Gorka Eguileor is a good contact as he has been doing much of the
work on HA Cinder though his focus is on Active/Active HA.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!
Jay