[Openstack-operators] [nova][placement][upgrade][qa] Some upgrade-specific news on extraction

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Sep 6 21:16:34 UTC 2018

Excerpts from Matt Riedemann's message of 2018-09-06 15:58:41 -0500:
> I wanted to recap some upgrade-specific stuff from today outside of the
> other [1] technical extraction thread.
>
> Chris has a change up for review [2] which prompted the discussion.
>
> That change makes placement only work with placement.conf, not
> nova.conf, but does get a passing tempest run in the devstack patch [3].
>
> The main issue here is upgrades. If you think of this like deprecating
> config options, the old config options continue to work for a release
> and then are dropped after a full release (or 3 months across boundaries
> for CDers) [4]. Given that, Chris's patch would break the standard
> deprecation policy. Clearly one simple way outside of code to make that
> work is just copy and rename nova.conf to placement.conf and voila. But
> that depends on *all* deployment/config tooling to get that right out of
> the gate.
>
> The other obvious thing is the database. The placement repo code as-is
> today still has the check for whether or not it should use the placement
> database but falls back to using the nova_api database [5]. So
> technically you could point the extracted placement at the same nova_api
> database and it should work. However, at some point deployers will
> clearly need to copy the placement-related tables out of the nova_api DB
> to a new placement DB and make sure the 'migrate_version' table is
> dropped so that placement DB schema versions can reset to 1.
>
> With respect to grenade and making this work in our own upgrade CI
> testing, we have I think two options (which might not be mutually
> exclusive):
>
> 1. Make placement support using nova.conf if placement.conf isn't found
> for Stein with lots of big warnings that it's going away in T. Then
> Rocky nova.conf with the nova_api database configuration just continues
> to work for placement in Stein. I don't think we then have any grenade
> changes to make, at least in Stein for upgrading *from* Rocky. Assuming
> fresh devstack installs in Stein use placement.conf and a
> placement-specific database, then upgrades from Stein to T should also
> be OK with respect to grenade, but likely punts the cut-over issue for
> all other deployment projects (because we don't CI with grenade doing
> Rocky->Stein->T, or FFU in other words).

Making placement read from both files should be pretty straightforward,
right? It's possible to pass default_config_files and default_config_dirs
to oslo.config, and the functions that build the original defaults
are part of the public API (find_config_files and find_config_dirs
in oslo_config.cfg) so the placement service can call them twice
(with different "project" arguments) and merge the results before
initializing the ConfigOpts instance.

Doug