[Openstack-operators] [neutron] Automatically allow incoming DHCP traffic for networks which uses external dhcp server

Slawomir Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Mon Oct 29 15:39:23 UTC 2018

Hi,

Some time ago we had in Neutron reported RFE to allow automatically incoming DHCP traffic to the VM [1].
Basically it can be done today by adding proper security group rule that will allow such incoming traffic to the VM but idea of this RFE was to add some flag, called e.g. „external_dhcp” to network/subnet and in case if this flag is set to True, add such firewall rule by default for each port.
This small RFE don’t cover cases like „how to ensure that external DHCP server will be aware of IP addresses assigned for port in Neutron’s DB” or things like that.
It’s only about adding this one new flag to subnet (or network) attributes instead of doing it „manually” with security groups.

And now question to You is: would You be interested in such new „feature”? Currently we had only one request and we are not sure if it is worth to implement it. But if there would be more interest in it we can revive this RFE.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1785213

—
Slawek Kaplonski
Senior software engineer