[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [nova][limits] Does ANYONE at all use the quota class functionality in Nova?

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 20:06:24 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 2:49 PM Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/24/2018 02:57 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> > On 10/24/2018 10:10 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> >> I'd like to propose deprecating this API and getting rid of this
> >> functionality since it conflicts with the new Keystone /limits
> >> endpoint, is highly coupled with RAX's turnstile middleware and I
> >> can't seem to find anyone who has ever used it. Deprecating this API
> >> and functionality would make the transition to a saner quota
> >> management system much easier and straightforward.
> >
> > I was trying to do this before it was cool:
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/411035/
> >
> > I think it was the Pike PTG in ATL where people said, "meh, let's just
> > wait for unified limits from keystone and let this rot on the vine".
> >
> > I'd be happy to restore and update that spec.
>
> ++
>
> I think partly things have stalled out because maybe each side (keystone
> + nova) think the other is working on something but isn't?

I have a Post-it on my montior to follow up with what we talked about at
the PTG.

AFAIK, the next steps were to use the examples we went through and apply
them to nova [0] using oslo.limit. We were hoping this would do two things.
First, it would expose any remaining gaps we have in oslo.limit that need
to get closed before other services start using the library. Second, we
could iterate on the example in gerrit as a nova review and making it
easier to merge when it's working.

Is that still the case and if so, how can I help?

[0] https://gist.github.com/lbragstad/69d28dca8adfa689c00b272d6db8bde7