[Openstack-operators] [octavia][rocky] Octavia and VxLAN without DVR

Erik McCormick emccormick at cirrusseven.com
Tue Oct 23 13:20:44 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 7:53 AM Florian Engelmann
<florian.engelmann at everyware.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We did test Octavia with Pike (DVR deployment) and everything was
> working right our of the box. We changed our underlay network to a
> Layer3 spine-leaf network now and did not deploy DVR as we don't wanted
> to have that much cables in a rack.
>
> Octavia is not working right now as the lb-mgmt-net does not exist on
> the compute nodes nor does a br-ex.
>
> The control nodes running
>
> octavia_worker
> octavia_housekeeping
> octavia_health_manager
> octavia_api
>
> and as far as I understood octavia_worker, octavia_housekeeping and
> octavia_health_manager have to talk to the amphora instances. But the
> control nodes are spread over three different leafs. So each control
> node in a different L2 domain.
>
> So the question is how to deploy a lb-mgmt-net network in our setup?
>
> - Compute nodes have no "stretched" L2 domain
> - Control nodes, compute nodes and network nodes are in L3 networks like
> api, storage, ...
> - Only network nodes are connected to a L2 domain (with a separated NIC)
> providing the "public" network

You'll need to add a new bridge to your compute nodes and create a
provider network associated with that bridge. In my setup this is
simply a flat network tied to a tagged interface. In your case it
probably makes more sense to make a new VNI and create a vxlan
provider network. The routing in your switches should handle the rest.

-Erik