[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [SIGS] Ops Tools SIG

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 15:44:45 UTC 2018

Additional comments in-line.

I am open to restructuring things around the tools and repos that they are
managed in. As previously mentioned please include me in the list of folks
who want to be a part of the team.

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Operation_Docs_SIG

> > b) Deployment documentation/config snippets/deployment scripts for those
> tools
> >     in integration with OpenStack.
> >
> > c)  Operator tools and bits which are developed or maintained on
> OpenStack repos,
> >     specially the OpenStack related bits of those tools (plugins, etc),
> >
> We should probably try and revive [3] and make use of that more
> effectively to address b and c. We've been trying to encourage
> contribution to it for years, but it needs more contributors and some
> TLC

Ops Tools SIG could facilitate this. Being involved particularly here I
think it would be great to have more folks involved and with the addition
of OpenLab we have a space to do a bit more around e2e and integration
testing of the tools.

> > d) Home the organisation of ops-related rooms during OpenStack events,
> general
> >      ones related to OpenStack, and also the distro-specific ones for
> the distros interested
> >      in participation.
> >
> I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this item. We currently have a
> team responsible for meetups and pushing Ops-related content into the
> Forum at Summits. Do you propose merging the Ops Meetup Team into this
> SIG?

Yes, there is already the Ops Meetup Team which facilitates this and of
course anyone is encouraged to join and get involved:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Ops_Meetups_Team

> > Does this scope for the SIG make sense to everyone willing to
> participate?
> >

> > Best regards,
> > Miguel Ángel.
> >
> [1] https://docs.openstack.org/operations-guide/
> [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Operations
> [3] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Osops#Code
>
> -Erik
>

> > On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 11:12 AM Matthias Runge <mrunge at redhat.com>
> wrote:

> melvin.hillsman at huawei.com> can
> which
> Osops.

> majopela at redhat.com>

> possibility
> and release

> such as
> why we
> SIG to
> dependent
> like
> contains

> dependencies on other
> the history
> difficult
> different

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> the mentioned sigs (opstools/cloud) are in CentOS scope and mention
> >> repository dependencies. That shouldn't bother us here now.
> >>

> >> There is already a SIG under the CentOS project, providing tools for
> >> operators[7], but also documentation and integrational bits.
> >>
> >> Also, there is some overlap with other groups and SIGs, such as
> >> Barometer[8].
> >>
> >> Since there is already some duplication, I don't know where it makes
> >> sense to have a single group for this purpose?
> >>
> >> If that hasn't been clear yet, I'd be absolutely interested in
> >> joining/helping this effort.
> >>

> >> Matthias
> >>

> >> [7] https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/OpsTools
> >> [8] https://wiki.opnfv.org/collector/pages.action?key=fastpath
> >>
> >> --
> >> Matthias Runge <mrunge at redhat.com>
> >>
> >> Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/, Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
> >> Commercial register: Amtsgericht Muenchen, HRB 153243,
> >> Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
> >>                      Michael O'Neill, Eric Shander

> > --
> > Miguel Ángel Ajo
> > OSP / Networking DFG, OVN Squad Engineering

Kind regards,

Melvin Hillsman
mrhillsman at gmail.com
mobile: (832) 264-2646