[Openstack-operators] nova_api resource_providers table issues on ocata

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Tue Oct 16 14:11:42 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 3:28 PM Ignazio Cassano <ignaziocassano at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> when on my ocata installation based on centos7 I update (only update not
> changing openstack version) some kvm compute nodes, I diescovered uuid in
> resource_providers nova_api db table are different from uuid in
> compute_nodes nova db table.
> This causes several errors in nova-compute service, because it not able to
> receive instances anymore.
> Aligning uuid from compute_nodes solves this problem.
> Could anyone tel me if it is a bug ?

What do you mean by "updating some compute nodes" ? In Nova, we consider
uniqueness of compute nodes by a tuple (host, hypervisor_hostname) where
host is your nova-compute service name for this compute host, and
hypervisor_hostname is in the case of libvirt the 'hostname' reported by
the libvirt API [1]

If somehow one of the two values change, then the Nova Resource Tracker
will consider this new record as a separate compute node, hereby creating a
new compute_nodes table record, and then a new UUID.
Could you please check your compute_nodes table and see whether some
entries were recently created ?

-Sylvain

[1]
https://libvirt.org/docs/libvirt-appdev-guide-python/en-US/html/libvirt_application_development_guide_using_python-Connections-Host_Info.html