[Openstack-operators] FIPS Compliance

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Tue Nov 6 01:54:52 UTC 2018

I'm interested in some feedback from the community, particularly those running
OpenStack deployments, as to whether FIPS compliance [0][1] is something folks
are looking for.

I've been seeing small changes starting to be proposed here and there for
things like MD5 usage related to its incompatibility to FIPS mode. But looking
across a wider stripe of our repos, it appears like it would be a wider effort
to be able to get all OpenStack services compatible with FIPS mode.

This should be a fairly easy thing to test, but before we put in much effort
into updating code and figuring out testing, I'd like to see some input on
whether something like this is needed.

Thanks for any input on this.

Sean

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIPS_140-2