[Openstack-operators] [Openstack-sigs] Dropping lazy translation support

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Nov 5 21:39:58 UTC 2018

On 11/5/18 3:13 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 11/5/2018 1:36 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> I think the lazy stuff was all about the API responses. The log
>> translations worked a completely different way.
>
> Yeah maybe. And if so, I came across this in one of the blueprints:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/disable-lazy-translation
>
> Which says that because of a critical bug, the lazy translation was
> disabled in Havana to be fixed in Icehouse but I don't think that ever
> happened before IBM developers dropped it upstream, which is further
> justification for nuking this code from the various projects.

It was disabled last-minute, but I'm pretty sure it was turned back on
(hence why we're hitting issues today). I still see coercion code in
oslo.log that was added to fix the problem[1] (I think). I could be
wrong about that since this code has undergone significant changes over
the years, but it looks to me like we're still forcing things to be
unicode.[2]

1: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/49230/3/openstack/common/log.py
2:
https://github.com/openstack/oslo.log/blob/a9ba6c544cbbd4bd804dcd5e38d72106ea0b8b8f/oslo_log/formatters.py#L414