[Openstack-operators] pci passthrough & numa affinity

Jonathan D. Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Fri May 25 01:58:35 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 06:34:06PM -0500, Eric Fried wrote:
:How long are you willing to wait?
:
:The work we're doing to use Placement from Nova ought to allow us to
:model both of these things nicely from the virt driver, and request them
:nicely from the flavor.
:
:By the end of Rocky we will have laid a large percentage of the
:groundwork to enable this. This is all part of the road to what we've
:been calling "generic device management" (GDM) -- which we hope will
:eventually let us remove most/all of the existing PCI passthrough code.
:
:I/we would be interested in hearing more specifics of your requirements
:around this, as it will help inform the GDM roadmap.  And of course,
:upstream help & contributions would be very welcome.

Sounds like good work.

My use case is not yet very clear.  I do have some upcoming
discussions with users around requirements and funding so being able
to say "this is on the road map and could be accelerated with
developer hours"  is useful.  I expect patience is what will come of
that but very good to know where to go when I get some clarity and if
I get some resources.

-Jon

:
:Thanks,