[Openstack-operators] [OpenStack-Operators][OpenStack] Regarding production grade OpenStack deployment

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri May 18 20:39:39 UTC 2018

Are you talking about downtime of instances (and the dataplane), or of the
OpenStack API and control plane?

And when you say "zero downtime" are you really talking about "five nines" or
similar?  Because nothing is truly zero downtime.

If you care about HA then you'll need additional components outside of OpenStack
proper.  You'll need health checks on your physical nodes, health checks on your
network links, possibly end-to-end health checks up into the applications
running in your guests, redundant network paths, redundant controller nodes, HA
storage, etc.  You'll have to think about how to ensure your database and
messaging service are HA.  You may want to look at ensuring that your OpenStack
services do not interfere with the VMs running on that node and vice versa.

We ended up rolling our own install mechanisms because we weren't satisfied with
any of the existing projects.  That was a while ago now so I don't know how far
they've come.

Chris