[Openstack-operators] [nova] Hard fail if you try to rename an AZ with instances in it?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 14:40:44 UTC 2018

Sylvain has had a spec up for awhile [1] about solving an old issue
where admins can rename an AZ (via host aggregate metadata changes)
while it has instances in it, which likely results in at least user
confusion, but probably other issues later if you try to move those
instances, e.g. the request spec probably points at the original AZ name
and if that's gone (renamed) the scheduler probably pukes (would need to
test this).

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone relies on this behavior, or if they
consider it a bug that the API allows admins to do this? I tend to
consider this a bug in the API, and should just be fixed without a
microversion. In other words, you shouldn't have to opt out of broken
behavior using microversions.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/446446/

Matt