[Openstack-operators] Ops Meetup, Co-Location options, and User Feedback

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Mar 20 16:03:59 UTC 2018

Jimmy McArthur wrote:
> [...]
> We've been meeting regularly with the User Committee to help establish
> goals for the Committee as well as Operators and End Users.  There are
> three critical things that we identified as immediate areas of concern:
>
>   * How to involve operators, end users, and app-devs that are not in
>     the normal cycle of communications within the community (IRC, MLs,
>     Summit, Forum, etc..)
>   * Ensuring a productive communication loop between the User and Dev
>     communities so feedback from OS Days, local user groups, and Ops
>     Meetups are communicated and brought to the Forum in a way that
>     allows developers to address concerns in future  release cycles.
>   * Removing perceived barriers and building relationships between User
>     and Dev communities

++ Great list!

> [...]
> Ops 2H 2018 Meetup
> In addition to those questions, we'd like to pitch an option for you for
> the next Ops Meetup.  The upcoming PTG is the week of September 10 in
> North America. We have an opportunity to co-locate the Ops Meetup at the
> PTG.

I think it's generally a good idea, especially for work sessions. The
PTG already turned into an event where any group of contributors,
whatever their focus is, can meet in person and do some work. We had the
Public Cloud WG in Dublin and I feel like they had very productive
discussions !

> If the Ops community was interested in this, we would have separate
> space with your own work sessions and separate branding for the Ops
> attendees. This would also involve updating the language on the
> OpenStack website and potentially renaming the PTG to something more
> inclusive to both groups.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of separate branding (or "co-location").
If the "PTG" name is seen as too developer-centric, I'd rather change
the event name (and clearly make it a work event for anyone contributing
to OpenStack, whatever the shape of their group). Otherwise we just
perpetuate the artificial separation by calling it an ops event
co-located with a dev event. It's really a single "contributor" event.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)