[Openstack-operators] [openstack-dev] [nova] about rebuild instance booted from volume

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 13:39:08 UTC 2018

I'm not sure why you're sending this same email *yet again*. There is
already a thread going with the same details and questions below (from
my original response yesterday):

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2018-March/014952.html

Can we please stop spamming the mailing list(s) and just stick to one
email thread on this issue?

On 3/15/2018 7:04 AM, 李杰 wrote:
> Hi,all
> This spec is proposing to add support for rebuild with a new image for
> volume-backed servers, which today is just a 400 failure in the API
> since the compute doesn't support that scenario.
>
> With the proposed solution, the backing root volume would be deleted and
> a new volume would be created from the new image, similar to how boot
> from volume works.
>
> The question raised in the spec is whether or not nova should delete the
> root volume even if its delete_on_termination flag is set to False. The
> semantics get a bit weird here since that flag was not meant for this
> scenario, it's meant to be used when deleting the server to which the
> volume is attached. Rebuilding a server is not deleting it, but we would
> need to replace the root volume, so what do we do with the volume we're
> replacing?
>
> Do we say that delete_on_termination only applies to deleting a server
> and not rebuild and therefore nova can delete the root volume during a
> rebuild?
>
> If we don't delete the volume during rebuild, we could end up leaving a
> lot of volumes lying around that the user then has to clean up,
> otherwise they'll eventually go over quota.
>
> We need your feedback on this issue and what you would
> expect to happen.
>
> The link is here.
>
> Re:the rebuild spec:https://review.openstack.org/#/c/532407/

Matt