[Openstack-operators] swift - 1 Billion object on a single container

Kirubakaran Kaliannan kirubak at zadarastorage.com
Thu Mar 8 10:39:12 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I am seeing lot of threads and discussion on large container issues. We
also have a spec (
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/swift-specs/specs/in_progress/container_sharding.html)
to fix this in the future releases.

I have the container-ring/account-ring on the SSD devices. I started seeing
the drop in performance after crossing 10 million objects.

Do we  have any performance number taken on large container or suggestion
on  alternatives (other than distributing object into multiple containers –
which is not possible due to the nature of the application) to improve this
performance ?

Appreciate your responses. Thanks.

Thanks,

-kiru