[Openstack-operators] [nova] isolate hypervisor to project

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 12:47:21 UTC 2018

On 6/4/2018 6:43 AM, Tobias Urdin wrote:
> I have received a question about a more specialized use case where we
> need to isolate several hypervisors
>
> to a specific project. My first thinking was using nova flavors for only
> that project and add extra specs properties to use a specific host
> aggregate but this
>
> means I need to assign values to all other flavors to not use those
> which seems weird.
>

> How could I go about solving this the easies/best way or from the
> history of the mailing lists, the most supported way since there is a
> lot of changes
>
> to scheduler/placement part right now?

Depending on which release you're on, it sounds like you want to use this:

https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/admin/configuration/schedulers.html#aggregatemultitenancyisolation

In Rocky we have a replacement for that filter which does pre-filtering
in Placement which should give you a performance gain when it comes time
to do the host filtering:

https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/admin/configuration/schedulers.html#tenant-isolation-with-placement

Note that even if you use AggregateMultiTenancyIsolation for the one
project, other projects can still randomly land on the hosts in that
aggregate unless you also assign those to their own aggregates.

It sounds like you're might be looking for a dedicated hosts feature?
There is an RFE from the public cloud work group for that:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-publiccloud-wg/+bug/1771523

Matt