[Openstack-operators] Couple of CellsV2 questions

Jonathan Mills jonmills at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 15:43:52 UTC 2018

Good morning all,

I am looking at implementing CellsV2 with multiple cells, and there's a few
things I'm seeking clarification on:

1) How does a superconductor know that it is a superconductor?  Is its
operation different in any fundamental way?  Is there any explicit
configuration or a setting in the database required? Or does it simply not
care one way or another?

2) When I ran the command "nova-manage cell_v2 create_cell --name=cell1
--verbose", the entry created for cell1 in the api database includes only
one rabbitmq server, but I have three of them as an HA cluster.  Does it
only support talking to one rabbitmq server in this configuration? Or can I
just update the cell1 transport_url in the database to point to all three?
Is that a supported configuration?

3) Is there anything wrong with having one cell share the amqp bus with
your control plane, while having additional cells use their own amqp buses?
Certainly I realize that the point of CellsV2 is to shard the amqp bus for
greater horizontal scalability.  But in my case, my first cell is on the
smaller side, and happens to be colocated with the control plane hardware
(whereas other cells will be in other parts of the datacenter, or in other
datacenters with high-speed links).  I was thinking of just pointing that
first cell back at the same rabbitmq servers used by the control plane, but
perhaps directing them at their own rabbitmq vhost.  Is that a terrible
idea?

Your feedback is highly appreciated!  Thank you,

Jonathan Mills
NASA Center for Climate Simulation