[Openstack-operators] Inverted drive letters on block devices that use virtio-scsi

Jean-Philippe Méthot jp.methot at planethoster.info
Fri Jan 26 00:58:15 UTC 2018

Hi,

Lately, we’ve been converting our VMs block devices (cinder block devices) to use the virtio-scsi driver instead of virtio-blk by modifying the database. This works great, however, we’ve run into an issue with an instance that has more than one drive. Essentially, the root device has address <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='1’/> while the second device has address <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0’/> . I believe this results in the root drive getting called sdb in the vm while the second drive gets called sda.

If my assumption is right, what exactly controls which drive gets address unit=0 and which drive gets address unit=1 in the vm configuration?

Jean-Philippe Méthot
Openstack system administrator
Administrateur système Openstack
PlanetHoster inc.