[Openstack-operators] getting back onto our IRC channel

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Aug 8 20:53:56 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-08 15:03:46 -0400 (-0400), Chris Morgan wrote:
> I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but it's really not obvious,
> hence this email.
>
> I tried just "/connect chat.freenode.net" and then "/msg nickserv
> ..." a few times. I always got dumped and it said "You need to
> identify via SASL to use this server". Something like that.
>
> If I don't connect first, then I just get "Not connected to
> server" when I try to /msg nickserv
[...]

It does indeed sound like you might be caught up in the
aforementioned SASL-only network blacklist (I wasn't even aware of
it until this ML thread) which Freenode staff seem to be using to
help block the spam onslaught from some known parts of the Internet.
Your workaround with the webclient is precisely what I would have
recommended in such situations too. This is entirely independent
from the Infra team measure to require nick registration in official
OpenStack IRC channels, but certainly another symptom of the same
fundamental problem.
--
Jeremy Stanley