[Openstack-operators] getting back onto our IRC channel

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 19:50:41 UTC 2018

I just tried irssi on MacOS without any other stuff added to the config
just a fresh install and I am able to talk to NickServ and appears I can
register the nick if I so choose. Quite possible your IP or an IP along
your path of talking to Freenode is blacklisted Chris.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 2:23 PM iain MacDonnell <iain.macdonnell at oracle.com>
wrote:

> According to:
>

> https://superuser.com/questions/1220409/irc-how-to-register-on-freenode-using-hexchat-when-i-get-disconnected-immediat
>
> there's a blacklist of source address ranges from which SASL auth/e is
> required.....
>
>      ~iain
>

> On 08/08/2018 12:03 PM, Chris Morgan wrote:
> > I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but it's really not obvious, hence
> > this email.
> >
> > I tried just "/connect chat.freenode.net
> > <
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__chat.freenode.net&d=DwMFaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=RxYkIjeLZPK2frXV_wEUCq8d3wvUIvDPimUcunMwbMs&m=XitLUTp1htaMQO9yd3X4qTLgEaEKYUScTKuga61xBnM&s=hZAfF36UBBrPqqDYxYnjUXSWNOyfTga0P_lzOaA1Ax0&e=>"
>
> > and then "/msg nickserv ..." a few times. I always got dumped and it
> > said "You need to identify via SASL to use this server". Something like
> > that.
> >
> > If I don't connect first, then I just get "Not connected to server" when
> > I try to /msg nickserv
> >
> > chris
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 2:57 PM Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org
> > <mailto:fungi at yuggoth.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 2018-08-08 14:43:33 -0400 (-0400), Chris Morgan wrote:
> >     [...]
> >      > What did not work for me is trying to msg nickserv from the
> >     command-line
> >      > IRC client (irssi). I can't send a message to nickserv without
> >     connecting,
> >      > and (it seems to me anyway) can't connect without a nickname.
> >     Seems a bit
> >      > chicken and egg to this IRC newbie.
> >     [...]
> >
> >     It's been a while since I used irssi personally (switched to weechat
> >     some 5-6 years ago), but it should only have rejected your ability
> >     to auto-join OpenStack official IRC channels until you
> >     registered/identified and not prevented you from connecting to
> >     Freenode. You only need to be in a server buffer and connected to be
> >     able to `/msg nickserv ...` but don't need to be in any channels at
> >     all so shouldn't be a chicken-and-egg scenario.
> >     --
> >     Jeremy Stanley
> >     <
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.openstack.org_cgi-2Dbin_mailman_listinfo_openstack-2Doperators&d=DwMFaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=RxYkIjeLZPK2frXV_wEUCq8d3wvUIvDPimUcunMwbMs&m=XitLUTp1htaMQO9yd3X4qTLgEaEKYUScTKuga61xBnM&s=pOs2IpLof7IqciYxf2K2rTsQ9jqCKkIAlL_mvXqqCDo&e=
> >

> > --
> > Chris Morgan <mihalis68 at gmail.com <mailto:mihalis68 at gmail.com>>

> [...]

Kind regards,

Melvin Hillsman