[Openstack-operators] [nova][glance] nova-compute choosing incorrect qemu binary when scheduling 'alternate' (ppc64, armv7l) architectures?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 19:07:29 UTC 2018

On 8/7/2018 8:54 AM, Chris Apsey wrote:
> We don't actually have any non-x86 hardware at the moment - we're just
> looking to run certain workloads in qemu full emulation mode sans KVM
> extensions (we know there is a huge performance hit - it's just for a
> few very specific things).  The hosts I'm talking about are normal
> intel-based compute nodes with several different qemu packages installed
> (arm, ppc, mips, x86_64 w/ kvm extensions, etc.).
>
> Is nova designed to work in this kind of scenario?  It seems like many
> pieces are there, but they're just not quite tied together quite right,
> or there is some config option I'm missing.

As far as I know, nova doesn't make anything arch-specific for QEMU.
Nova will execute some qemu commands like qemu-img but as far as the
virt driver, it goes through the libvirt-python API bindings which wrap
over libvirtd which interfaces with QEMU. I would expect that if you're
on an x86_64 arch host, that you can't have non-x86_64 packages
installed on there (or they are noarch packages). Like, I don't know how
your packaging works (are these rpms or debs, or other?) but how do you
have ppc packages installed on an x86 system?

Matt